Monday, March 21, 2011

A (brief) break

Today is officially the first day of spring break, joy! Well, technically spring break started on Saturday, but that's besides the point. The point is that everyone (most everyone?) gets a week off to relax, go someplace relaxing, and enjoy the weather...or not. I can't put my finger on it, but there's just something off Mother Nature's timing, because it is indeed raining. Again. Or maybe it's because the powers that be in the school system knew of the incoming rainfall and deliberately scheduled break so that it would coincide with these storms. I guess we'll never know.

But never fear because spring quarter is near! I'm excited for my last academic quarter, and the work/fun that the quarter will bring. Looking back, I didn't think that I had done much this past quarter, but looking back at all the work that was done, it was quite an accomplishing quarter. There was the herbivory counting on the shrub sub-samples, all 21 of them), which was followed by going through the full samples and separating them by new and old shrub growth that were dried and massed. Then work with the arthropods come in, starting with measuring the length and dry weight of larvae pre-bird exclosure experiment, and then sorting the post-experiment arthropods. *whew*

So in this upcoming quarter, I'll be continuing the lab work that I've been doing, which includes finishing the sorting of the arthropod vacuum samples and vouchering them as well as picking up the phenology work that I did during the fall. On top of that, I'll be writing my scientific research paper on this past quarter's work and present it at my ESYS symposium in May.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy my opportunity to mentally vegetate for a week and be ready to go starting next Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment